Core Processes for Problem Solving,
Liberation and Wholeness
The following comprise the most consistently effective and safe psycho-spiritual tools I have found for handling the main problems in one’s life and for liberation of the heart, mind and soul to the “higher octave” of love, compassion and joy. All of these processes embody a quality sometimes called “shakti”—intelligent energy—as an essential working ingredient. They are psychically non-invasive, spiritually non-sectarian, and suitable for use by trained lay persons in “process partnerships.” These processes combine to form a synergistic “tool set” in that each process not only has its own purposes and results, but also complements the others in the set such that one process can usually take up where another has left off. They are here listed with the author’s name and where to get more information so that you can investigate each of these processes for yourself. These processes are very suitable for being learned and practiced by lay people working together in “process practice partnerships.”
Three additional readings are important to mention due to their centrality as core resources embodied by the core processes described below: Trust: A New Vision of Human Relationships for Business, Education, Family, and Personal Living , by Jack R. Gibb (available on the web at http://donskiff.com/jack_r_gibb.htm); The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, by Eckhart Tolle; and Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping-Stones for Success, by John C. Maxwell. Ultimately it is our aspiration that all psycho-spiritual tools be transcended by direct intuition of Source Guidance (God’s will as experienced and given by the depths of one’s own Soul). This listing is offered in this light.
1. Integral Transformative Practice – A pioneering program developed by George Leonard and Michael Murphy for transforming body, mind, heart and spirit through balanced and comprehensive long-term practice. It leads to higher-level functioning and often to miraculous advances. For more information: www.itp-life.com.
2. Inquiry Work - An inquiry process developed by Byron Katie for being experientially honest about your judgments of others, seeing how they apply to you as self-judgment, then letting them go without attempting to control the outcome. It leads to the release of “lower octave” emotions and motivations such as fear, jealousy, or compulsive domination/submission, and to the emergence of “higher octave” ones such as love, compassion and joy. For more information: www.thework.org.
3. Focusing - A body-based process developed by Eugene Gendlin for tuning into “how things are for me now, especially what stands between me and feeling o.k. “Focusing” frequently leads to a felt-shift and a sense of release as this is accomplished. Used in conjunction with other tools listed here, this process is uniquely useful for accurately targeting what feels ripe to be worked on next. For more information: www.focusing.org.
4. Focused Visioning - A set of depth-intuition processes including Transformative Visioning, Journey Into Source, Inner Vision Quest, and Visionary Time Travel developed by Oliver Markley, which use Higher Self-based guidance for creative problem solving and visioning of one’s “ideal path.” They lead to increased clarity and freedom regarding the future you choose to seek. For more information: www.owmarkley.org/inward.
5. Centering Prayer - An ancient approach to contemplative meditation and the direct experience of the divine Source within, revived and refined by Thomas Keating in his workshops and the book, Open Mind, Open Heart. For more information: www.contemplativeoutreach.org.
6. Quantum Breathing - A unique way described in the book Quantum Touch, by Richard Gordon, for using breath work to generate psychic energy and to focus it for practical purposes such as healing or empowering the manifestation of a desired reality such as you envisioned in one of the INWARD BOUND Visioning journeys. It is a key tool for personal and professional health and wellness. For more information: www.quantumtouch.com.
7. Spiritual Awakening CDBook - A set of guided meditations and experiential guidebook developed by John Selby for learning to quiet the mind, becoming more heart-centered in twelve weeks of daily practice. This approach worked for the author where other methods for “thinkaholic recovery” failed. For more information or a copy: www.johnselby.com.
8. Imago Relationship Work - Theory and practical methods developed by Harville Hendrix for cooperative healing of relationship problems, particularly for committed couples. A core skill is a three-part dialogue process that breaks couples out of defensive win/lose communicating, and promotes understanding and compassion for the position of the other. For more information: www.imagotherapy.com.